Skip to main content

Movie review: QUEEN OF KATWE







Year: 2016
Director: Mira Nair
Producer: John B. Carls
Screenwriter: William Wheeler
Cast: Lupita Nyong’o, Madina Nalwanga, David Oyelowo
Genre: Biographical, Drama, Sports

Based on the ESPN article and book by Tim Crothers

Phiona Mutesi, a young girl from the slums of Katwe, Uganda, discovers chess, and with the help of her coach, Robert Katende, becomes a prodigy, overcoming numerous obstacles.

Rating: 4/5

Phiona Mutesi(Nalwanga) lives with her mother(Nyong’o) and siblings in a hovel in katwe. Life is tough and they barely scrape by. One day, she discovers a group of children playing chess, tutored by Robert Katende(Oyelowo). This discovery leads Phiona into a realm of greater possibilities, as she masters the game, despite not being able to read. Katende sees the potential in her, and takes her under his wing, training her for greater aspirations, like representing the whole country internationally.

This was the first movie I ever went to the cinema TWICE to see, and it was well worth it. Despite all the efforts of the filmmakers to market it, it seems the movie has not been getting the attention it deserves. It’s seems that people think its ALL about chess, but they are wrong (though I was motivated to resume playing the game).



The cinematography and editing were done professionally, certain shots of the environment taken for effect- like a group of birds treading lightly on the mud near the dump, a fisherman casting his net skilfully in the peaceful river. The shot of the interior King’s College from the ceiling was very impressive, providing us with so much information in just one shot. The mise-en-scene, the background objects, the arrangement of actors within a frame in order to portray an idea or a concept was done with skill. 

The actors’ performances exceed expectations, especially award-winning Nyong’o’s. She plays her role so fluidly and easily. Nalwanga portrays a convincing Phiona (I see a lot of potential there) and Oyelowo, who’s performance I’m always confident of, does not fail to deliver.


The movie has its own sound, and it’s one word-Africa. From Davido’s skelewu, to Number 1 Spice by Young Cardamom and BHB (I can’t stop singing it!), the film was replete with African music. It is only right that the audience should be made to get a feel of the environment through the music.
 
I want to commend Mobolaji Dawodu, costume designer for Queen of Katwe for an outstanding job. The costumes were appropriate and suited to the characters- not over-the-top, and portraying the colourful dress culture of Africans.

Queen of Katwe is filled with so much lessons and messages. In modern-speak, it is a very “deep” movie. Even though, agreed, the plot was predictable from the start( It couldn’t be helped, it’s a biographical after all), the director did a laudable job of inserting plot twists and heightening suspense at different turns throughout the movie. Dialogue in the movie is either witty and humorous, or dripping with quiet wisdom. Issues addressed in the movie include: Poverty, class segregation, Illiteracy, and Gender Discrimination.

Queen of Katwe is a brilliant movie, and I think more people ought to see it. Kudos to the filmmakers.

x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Friend to Pomegranates

It was twenty-nine degrees Celsius  one night in the middle of August. My big fan,  the only reason why I’d been able to avoid buying an AC throughout that unbearably hot summer,   was blasting at its second-to-highest  setting.    I was sprawled  on my bed, watching Trevor Noah videos and ignoring my cramps, as well as my prior plans of going to bed at least a couple of hours before midnight that night. My friend, Grace knocked on the door. “Come in!” I answered. She opened the door slightly, holding a up a small pomegranate. ‘How do you eat this?’ We had gone grocery shopping together the previous weekend, and I'd spotted some pomegranates and picked up a few. ‘You have to try this!’, I'd excitedly told Grace, who had never had pomegranates before. I had only started eating them several months ago myself, and I had found them a more than suitable dietary companion in the cold winter months. I stood up and went to the door. ‘I’ll help you cut it.’ I took the fruit and we walke

Thank You for the Music: My ABBA Story

I must have been about eight years old the first time I heard ABBA. I remember the CD case cover, the black background of the graphic paper behind the plastic, the letters ABBA and Gold written in gold-ish color, so that one ‘B’ was turned the opposite way, resting its spine against the other B’s. I remember two small custom-made bedside wooden chests with single drawers in my parents' room, packed with CDs- ABBA, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Lucky Dube, Bob Marley, Westlife, Backstreet Boys and many others. There were movies too- Titanic, My Best Friend's Wedding, Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Coming to America- some of the best of the eighties and nineties. Growing up, my father had music playing on a loop almost every evening, and certainly every weekend. Most of the tracks were classics, old school funk and RnB, lots of reggae. His room was, a sacred shrine of sorts to music- the lights would be off, but we heard the beats from anywhere in the house- boom ka, boom boom k

The Taste Of Cardamom Chai

Earlier in my adult life, I met a woman in her late thirties or early forties- I’ll call her Stella. I’d been looking for a cheap room for rent, being a post grad student on the tail end of my program, having recently moved out of a relatives home in search of a different living situation. I had found the listing online- the room looked pleasing enough; furnished, clean, well lit. Stella and I got along well on our first meeting. She seemed chill- too chill, like she really didn’t care if I took the place, but I could sense a slight hopefulness beneath it. She told me about the person who used to live there, how they kept on bringing kids over- kids who would just ignore Stella in the hallway. ‘How rude!’ I had exclaimed in agreement. Eventually I moved in. It was my first time living ‘on my own’ since I moved to the country, and although it was January and the temperatures were frigid, I was set afire with the excitement of independence. There were three rooms in the house- one belong